Repost: The Camel's Hump


The Camel's Hump

The Camel's Hump

Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatulahi wa Barakatu, 

I am in the middle of preparing some new material insha'Allah, but in the mean time, I thought that I would share some favourite old posts of mine that I have written. These posts may be new to some of you and may be old my awesome readers masha'Allah, but all in all, it never gets old because the subjects are an ongoing problem in today's society! 

Enjoy!

To proceed, 

This incredible animal has always marveled me. They can go without water for weeks, without food for a month, their eyelashes help keep the sand out of their eyes, their thick lips allows them to eat prickly plants in the desert, they can withstand high heat, and they store fat in their humps (not water, as many believe). Often we also see travelers and tourists riding on top of the camel's hump.

So why did I choose to talk about the camel's hump?

Often I see a similar hump on the top of some Muslimah's head. I wonder, what is the purpose of putting one's hair into a bun so high even a tall man wouldn't be able to see over her hump! You may chuckle at this thought but it really is disappointing. Lately, the Muslimahs have totally ignored the importance of the hijab and the proper way of wearing one. I am a new Muslim and for me I had to experience much trial and error to wear the hijab the PROPER way. That is, covering ALL of your hair, no high ponytail hump, and no fancy hijab patterns that are hard on the eyes. Is this so difficult to do? I guess for some, yes it is. The whole purpose of the hijab is clearly explained in Surah An-Nur, Verses 30 and 31:

'And Say to the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bossoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim women) (i.e. sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful'

Sisters, do you think that this is mentioned in the Qur'an because Allah just felt like throwing in a verse to fill up space??? AstughfurAllah. Do you disrespect yourself that much to be disrespectful to Allah your Creator? I don't mean to be harsh, but when Muslimahs are disrespecting the Qur'an and the Sunnah, they are also disrespecting me as well as half the Muslimah population who actually want to please their Lord. Are you not afraid of the Hellfire? Is this dunya so important to you that you totally ignore what your Creator has written for you?
Sure, only Allah can judge his servants, and I am not one to judge, but when it is apparent that one wears their hijab in a way that is against the Qur'an and Sunnah does that mean they are pious?

How can one be pious and a weak servant to Allah when it says NOWHERE in the Qur'an that you may wear your hijab showing half of your hair or wearing hijabs with flashy coloured patterns! A woman who wants to wear the hijab with a high hump like a camel will get nowhere near Paradise.
It is stated in Hadith - Sahih Muslim, #6840, Narrated Abu Hurayrah 
Allah's Apostle  said: There are two types, amongst the denizens of Hell, I have yet not seen them. One possessing whips like the tail of an ox and they flog people with them. (The second one) the women who would be naked in spite of their being dressed, who are seduced (to wrong paths) and seduce others with their hair high like humps. These women would not get into Paradise and they would not perceive the odour of Paradise, although its fragrance can be perceived from such and such distance (from great distance).

 If you are thinking " well, I really want to enter Paradise but I know Allah will forgive me if I repent" or " tomorrow I will wear my hijab the right way, but I'm worried I won't look beautiful".
I've had the many chances and opportunities to "let my hair loose and have fun" but then I stopped caring so much when I realised, what is the point really to beautify myself for others? Why should I beautify myself for people who I will never see in my life ever again? For someone who doesn't even know my name? What is the point of putting all this effort into looking "hot" for society? I'm not even a celebrity! And I even bet you a celebrity would wish they could go out in public without having to put all that garbage on their faces! How nice it would be for them to just go out and be natural without having to worry about their face caught on camera without any makeup.
Then here we are wearing a hijab that barely covers our hair, and modifying our hijabs to look like some Queen of Arabia. 
 I, who used to be a non-Muslim studying fashion, wanted so badly to fit into society. I wanted everyone to look at me and think "wow what a beautiful girl!" I wanted the attention and the praise of people I knew and didn't know. I knew this was because I had low self-esteem and the only way I would feel happy with myself was if I "modified" my natural beauty to hide the discontentment I had living inside of me. I had nothing else to offer to the world except my beauty. 
Make-up? It comes off at the end of the day. Clothes? Does it really matter what the latest trend is when you are pregnant? Accessories? They all will become outdated, hence the word "trend".
The only true identity you have is your hijab. Your hijab represents your religion, your way of life. Your commitment to serving Allah. Your hijab is not something the Western culture has, and will never have. So why are you so obsessed with the West? The worldy life is only temporary and it is a facade. I find it as my duty as a Muslimah to stress the importance of wearing your hijab properly as it is the one thing that the West, or anyone can never take away from you.Your identity.

Remember sisters, the only hump that belongs on the back is of the camels and not your head! We are not animals, we are human beings!
So please, fix your hijab!

I love you all for the sake of Allah, and sometimes, some tough loving' is the reality check we all need.

<3 Khadijah'

2 comments

  1. As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu

    Miss me no more my Chinese girl! I is here!!! :D :D

    Whatcha working on? And what's happened with Facebook? :S Don't disappear like that!!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Asslamu Alaikum sis, MashaAllah, wonderfully written. Now is the time more than ever, to stress on the importance of the 'correct' Hijab. With all the Hijab accessorizing and trends, the whole point of the Hijab is being ignored.
    May Allah guide us to wearing the proper Hijab as practiced by the Ummahatuhul Mu'mineen and the Sahaba women :)

    ReplyDelete

Assalamualaikum, please be mindful about what you are about to write. Think about it before writing and make sure it is something positive and beneficial, otherwise it will be deleted and ignored. JazakiAllah kheyr ! Sisters ONLY! xo